The former City Auditorium turned dilapidated building can be found at 1112 Main Street, the downtown area of the City of Lynchburg, Virginia.
The City Market and Auditorium was built in 1909. Designed by architects Edward Graham Frye and Aubrey Chesterman. The auditorium hosted 2,000 seats and was operated through 1932. It was a Kroger Meats, with an attached Piggly Wiggly with a Red Crown Bowling on its upper floor during the 1950’s. It has been abandoned now for at least 2 decades.
Later dubbed by explorers as the ‘Tunkel Building’ due to it being full of items belonging to Alan Tunkel (the owner since 1981). Pictures, furniture, records, books, old high school items, trophies and more filled rooms upon an upper floor.
Feral cats and squatters have done more than their fair share of claiming this abandoned and dilapidated property as a home. One visit back in 2011 stumbled upon a family of four having claimed residence on the lower western side of the building.
The damage inside is extensive. Every few years the listing price gets lower and lower and more of the inside is gutted. It is now a shell of its former self with only 3 total floors, with a very open ground floor. The ceilings height ranges from 20 to 25 feet. Ornate molding along the high ceilings show devastating water damage. With an asking price of $875,000 the current developer is seeking out funds to bring this building back as a music venue.
With a boasting in the listing as an Enterprise Zone, this would offer tax concessions to bring in those who may be interested in developing this into a business.
Access here used to be the backside ledge where metal stairs made way to a collapsing roof (on top of what is now Kegney Brothers). Those stairs were removed with the fixing and opening of Kegney’s. The backside entrance is very accessible to those who know the ways in.
Where is the abandoned City Auditorium of Lynchburg located? You can find it with these coordinates. 37.412891, -79.140242.
Photographs by Abandoned Playgrounds.