These grounds of the former Masonic Lodge Number 882 are at the 6400 block of South Green Street where it meets with W 64th Street, the community area of Englewood, city of Chicago, Illinois.
The Masonic Temple had its corner stone laid on November 26, 1921. It was built by architect Clarence Hatzfeld for $300,000. It rose 6 storys tall, designed with a limestone column facade and included a ballroom, banquet hall, lodge halls, a solarium and a basement.
Masonic Lodge 882 flourished with membership and contributed to the community with fundraisers and more from 1930 through World War II. During the early 1960’s however, something happened here and the Freemasons vacated its halls.
In 1965, after the departure of its original patrons it became the Englewood Urban Progress Center. This progress center did contributed greatly to Englewood offering a lot of services. It closed in the 1980’s.
Then the masonic building laid quiet again, dormant for over 30 years. Residing on a “most endangered” lists by preservation groups.
Thoughts of re-use often surfaced but nothing came to fruition. It was damaged internally by a fire in the early 2010’s.
Unfortunately, this beautifully built and amazingly done architecturally designed bit of history was demolished abruptly in early 2018. There was a time capsule (per the usual regarding Masonic Temples) in the main laid corner stone.
Where is the abandoned South Side Masonic Temple located? You can find it with these coordinates. 41.777691, -87.646238.