The Falkenhagen Bunker is just a little trip off of the L37 onto Zum Seewerk, just east of the municipality of Falkenhagen, district of Märkisch-Oderland, state of Brandenburg, Germany.
The highly secret Falkenhagen bunker was built in 1938, right before the beginning of World War II. Dubbed MUNA – OST by the Wehrmacht as a massive scale armaments production facility. The complex itself consists of over 25 buildings, the bunker went as deep as 20 meters in the ground going 4 floors down, having over 400 rooms through out and a footage area of 14,000 meters squared.
Chlorine trifluoride, noted with the code name N-Stoff (substance N) was to be the object of desire by the German controlled Falkenhagen. This bunker was designed to accommodate such volatile chemicals, like N-Stoff, with its subterranean rooms offering stable cool temperatures. Test trails using this substance were ran in 1940, on mock Maginot Lines (concrete fortifications made by France) and proved highly successful. N-Stoff proved to be an incredible incendiary and chemical weapon.
As Hitler’s rise continued, he began to heighten his efforts towards that weapon, the compound, the item that would give him ultimate victory during World War II. The toxic gases Sarin and Tabun were recently developed and were now set to be produced on a massive scale at the soon to be finished Falkenhagen Bunker. Ideas speculate to the creation of nerve gas rockets that could reach the mainland United States where in process at this time.
The facility produced less than 50 tonnes of N-Stoff by the time of its capture in 1945, by the Red Army.
Now the facility was to be controlled by Russia during the times of the Warsaw Pact and the German Democratic Republic (GDR). While under Soviet control it had more facilities built setting it to accommodate at least 3,000 personnel. Much of what went on here is still a mystery and secret as it was a major command post and communication center. A land cable connection is said to have run from this base clear to the Baltic Sea. Set to be able to deploy submarines if needed.
This base was so top secret that it never even appeared on Russian military maps. Whispers of extraneous weapons like plasma guns and ones chemical based were said to have been developed here. The bunker door was even covered in aluminum to prevent the door from welding shut in case of nuclear detonation.
After the completion of the reunification of East and West Germany in 1990, Russia agreed to hand back the complex to Germany by 1994. Falkenhagen proceeded to be stripped of everything. No traces left of the Soviets ruling this bunker remain other than some writing on the wall. Nothing was left regarding what went on in this extensive military facility. It was abandoned in 1993.
The premises is guarded and with the right connections there is an ability for guided tours. Illegal dumping of garbage and waste has taken place on the property since its closure due to the large nature of the compound.
Where is the abandoned Falkenhagen Base located? You can find it with these coordinates.52.430161, 14.355453.
Images copyright and used with permission by Jakob Ehrensvärd / Pbase.