The former Montauk Air Force Station (also used as Camp Hero, Fort Hero at other spots by the United States Army) is on Colonel John Dunn Road, in the town of Montauk, Suffolk County, New York.
Built out of fear of a New York invasion from the sea, Fort Hero was commissioned in 1942 by the United States Army. A long range search radar was established at Fort Hero in 1948 and in 1950 was operated by the 773d Aircraft Control and Warning Squadron. In 1953, all designated Air Force facilities were renamed the Montauk Air Force Station. Continuing through various operations into the 1970’s, the radar site was slowly becoming obsolete. The site was decommissioned in 1981, with the radar and other buildings left abandoned in place.
In 1960, the large radar that is seen today became operational at Montauk. A high power AN/FPS-35 Radar with a reflector that is 126 feet long by 38 feet tall and weighing in at over 40 tons. Alleged to be the 2nd ever built, it was able to detect airborne objects over 200 miles away. Deemed so powerful, the antenna was said to disrupt radio and television broadcasts in the surrounding areas. After the decommission of the site, the motors and electronics were removed that controlled the antenna to allow the antenna to move with the wind during any sort of inclement weather.
The site that Montauk Air Force Station resides on was opened to the public in 2002, as Camp Hero State Park. The Radar and other certain buildings are still closed to the public and allegedly patrolled to prevent trespassers even though it is no longer being used.
Where is the decommissioned and abandoned AN/FPS-35 Radar and Montauk Air Force Station located? You can find it with these coordinates. 41.062159,-71.873961.