The abandoned Lockport Air Force Station is on Eagle Drive, in the hamlet of Sanborn, Cambria and Lewiston, New York.
Lockport Air Force Station began in the 1950’s as part of 23 radar stations for the Air Defense Command. It was known as the Shawnee Nike Missile air-defense system but was renamed in 1953. It was designated to the 763d Radar Squadron as a Semi Automatic Ground Environment system in 1959. Until 1962, the 763d Radar Squadron gave round the clock information on whether an aircraft were hostile or not as well as their range, altitude, speed and direction. Some of the buildings at the station included a bowling alley, barracks, auditorium, the room that housed the Semi-Automatic Ground Control ‘s massive computers and data, mess hall, basketball court and others. After the end of the Nike Missile Air Defense operations in 1962 the years went by. The air force station was improved, adjusted, reconfigured and modified until its closure in 1979. This was part of the Aerospace Defense Command phaseout.
It is said that the Lockport Air Force Station and property are begin turned for commercial using but what the land is to be used for is unclear.
Update: Between 2012 and 2013 the Lockport Air Force Station was almost completely demolished with some of the property being turned into apartments.
Where is the abandoned Lockport Air Force Station located? You can find it with these coordinates. 43.140013,-78.833401.
All images used under Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial 2.0 Generic. Images by David Barnas / Flickr / dave-a-roni.
Thanks to Dan Pawlowski.