The Vulture shelter is part of a group of fortifications for the Center Resistance of Jastarnia on the coast of the beach off of Droga Wojewódzka 216, in the municipality of Jastarinia, district of Puck, the Hel Peninsula, Poland.
The Vulture Bunker was part of the decision to create fortifications and points of resistance for the security of the peninsula of Hel. Construction began on the bunkers in 1939 and was completed that same year. With the outbreak of World War II the bunkers were ready and though never attacked served as air raid shelters and observation posts for the German military.
The Vulture bunker was openly built and so it was more fortified than the other bunkers with walls 4 to 10 feet thick in different spots. Entrance to the facility had 2 sections for internal to external shooting. The bunker also had a chute for hand grenades for protection.
The act of preparing the bunkers as defensive points continued into the 1970’s but the plans were never fully carried out. In 1999, all the fortifications were declared monuments and in 2000, the bunkers were transferred to civilian management. This allowed the Center Resistance of Jastarnia to have restoration and conservative works carried out on them.
The now abandoned Vulture Bunker is full of sand as it sat without use for over 30 years. Access to the Vulture Bunker is easily obtained by going on to the beach. The other fortifications are in the process of restoration, with some being open to the public.
Where is the abandoned sand filled Vulture combat bunker of Jastarnia located? You can find it with these coordinates. 54.717581,18.636856.
All images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 2.0 Generic. Images by Tomasz.Jakubowski / Flickr.