The Buckner Building is on Blackstone Road in the Chugach National Forest, the city of Whittier, Alaska.
The Buckner Building was conceived in 1948 and complete in 1953 at the peak of the Cold War. Designed to house military personnel it was constructed by the United States Government strategically for its proximity to Anchorage. Described as a ‘City Under One Roof’ for the fact that it housed 1,000 apartments, an auditorium, pool, library, church, a 6 cell jail, bowling alley, bakery, a dark room, cafeteria, kitchen, lounge, hospital, a store, radio station, rifle range, gymnasium, classrooms and more for the military personnel and their families. The Buckner Building is constructed completely out of thick concrete to withstand the impact of bombs if that should happen during the cold war. The complex has 8 levels, 2 of which are underground with tunnels that lead to the ocean and other areas. The building is named after General Simon Buckner who died during World War II.
In 1964, only 11 years after its completion the Buckner Building was deemed unsafe and abandoned. Built to withstand bombs but not the massive earthquake that struck Whittier in 1964. Heavily filled with asbestos, the buildings demolition does not seem to appear on the horizon as demolition costs would be great. Many say that the place is haunted, though that is probably due to the fact the the structure is not only vast and daunting but has been vacant for 50 years.
Where is the abandoned Buckner Building in Alaska located? You can find it with these coordinates. 60.774621,-148.675371.
All images used under Creative Commons License Attribution 2.0 Generic. All images by FairbanksMike / Flickr.