Paul A. Dever State School (formerly named Myles Standish School for the Mentally Retarded) is situated on the former land used for Camp Myles Standish and is located on Avenue D and surrounding roads, Taunton, Massachusetts.
In 1942, the War Department notified the City of Taunton that they would be using over 1,600 acres of land for U.S. Army Camp. It served as a base as well as held German and Italian Prisoners of War during World War II. Camp Myles Standish proved not to be what the War Department was looking for and closed in 1946.
Afterwards the State of Massachusetts took it over from the Federal Government and it was turned into the Myles Standish School for the Mentally Retarded. The patients brought to the school were housed in the former hospital area of Camp Myles Standish. By 1951, the current governor, Paul A. Dever, provided funding that allowed over 24 new brick buildings to be erected. These new buildings were for the handicapped patients and the new campus of Myles Standish State School.
After Governor Paul. A. Dever died in 1958, the school was renamed Paul A. Dever State School in his honor.
The campus itself resides on 1,200 acres and consists of 15 L-Shaped dormitory buildings and had a kitchen, recreational areas and 1.5 miles of tunnels underneath.
Most of the buildings on the site of the Paul A. Dever State School closed in 1991 from lack of funding and other lawsuits. The entire facility later closed in 2002. Since its closure many arson situations have occurred here, destroying many buildings. Since 2012 it is determined that over 40 buildings still remain, some even having been there since Camp Myles Standish.
Where is the Paul A. Dever State School located? You can find this large complex with these coordinates. 41.942187,-71.120779.
All images use under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial No Derivs 2.0 Generic, images were under this license November 23, 2013. All images by Stevie 6219 [Flickr/_stevie_].