The Allied Textile Printers Gun Mill factory and ruins are on 28 Van Houten Street in the city of Paterson, the county of Passaic, New Jersey.
The property originally was leased in 1813 and housed a rolling mill and nail factory. In 1836, the Patent Arms Manufacturing Company tore down the nail and rolling pin factory and constructed a four store building in which to manufacture Colt revolvers. Later the first silk processing occurred in this building as well and in the 1840’s when the demand for silk grew the mill expanded adding 3 new buildings to the lot. The factory expenses began to grow and soon became too much to handle and in 1842 the property was seized for back mortgages and auctioned off at public auction to John Eblers. From there it continued in the same route it was going in and grew into more than just a gun and silk mill but also a cotton and wool manufacture and a textile dyeing and finishing plant.
The site continued to grow and produce a variety of things into the 1970’s but as industry declined the site was fully abandoned in 1980. The site has been a made part of the Great Falls National Park and resides in part of the National Historic Landmark District. There are over 40 decaying structures on the land including some that reside below the ground. In 2010, archaeological excavations were done on the premises of the site. During this time the site was also documented and conservation of the site or at least some of the remaining machines and possible buildings are being processed as the Great Falls National Park develops.
The factories that resided on the property included the Gun Mill, Passaic Mill, Waverly and Mallory Mill, Home Mill and Todd Mill.
Where is the Allied Textile Printers factory located? You can find it with these coordinates. 40.917861,-74.178744.
Images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 2.0 Generic. All images by Anthony Fine / Flickr / huntergather.