Clairemont is a small mostly empty ghost town off the road Broadway in the County Kent, Texas.
Clairemont was named after Claire Becker, the niece of R. L. Rhomberg whose land the town was built on. The town was established in 1892 and initially sought to be the seat of government for Kent County. By 1895, the court house and matching jail were constructed out of sandstone and a hotel, stores, a bank and newspaper outlet had been added to the growing town. Clairemont thrived and even prospered a bit into the 1930’s serving a cotton, cattle and oil industry. A nearby railroad bypassed Clairemont and though this did not initially inhibit Clairemont it later had an added affect to the declining population that began in the 1950’s. When Clairemont lost the county seat to the city of Jayton in 1954 it was as if the death bell rang for the small town. The county records were transferred to Jayton and the courthouse then caught fire and was destroyed. The population of Clairemont slowly began to dissipate and by the year 2000, the last census states there are only 15 remaining residents.
Where is the abandoned buildings of Clairemont located? You can find them with these coordinates. 33.166091,-100.754258.
All images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 2.0 Generic. All images by Drriss & Marrionn / Flickr / drriss.