St. John’s Orphanage (also known as Goulburn Boys Orphanage) is at 52 Mundy Street in the city of Goulburn, in the Southern Tablelands of New South Wales, Australia.
The abandoned orphanage was a boys and girls facility and began in 1905 by the Sisters of Mercy and The Catholic Church. St. John’s was designed in Federation architectural style by E C Manfred. Beginning as one of the first orphanages in Goulburn, it later became a males only facility in 1912 when another orphanage for girls was opened. The orphanage had the ability to house 100 children with the ages ranging from 4 to 16.
From 1919 through 1938 several additions were added to St. John’s Orphanage including an east wing, south wing and new halls and rooms. In 1976, St. John’s Orphanage closed for that use. It was used by the Youth With A Mission Base Goulburn until the 1990’s. The orphanage has now been abandoned for over 20 years and is listed as a heritage conservation area by the Goulburn Council.
Many men who lived here as boys have strong memories of camaraderie with their fellow friends but there were also stories of rape, abuse, hunger and cold that follow those who lived here. There are reports of floggings from the Head Nun and no schooling for some. There are traveling rumors that the place is haunted with alleged ghost sightings, though those that lived here say that it is not haunted.
St. John’s Orphanage is to be renovated and redeveloped into residential units, though this has yet come to pass. As of 2014, it remains derelict and forlorn, the same as it ever was.
All images are © Abandido / Kellie Gollings and were used with permissions.
Where is the abandoned St. John’s Orphanage of Goulburn located? You can find it with these coordinates. -34.761682,149.71057.