The ruins of the Crawford Priory are along the River Eden at 4 Crawford Priory Stables, in the town and former royal burgh of Cupar, the county of Fife, Scotland.
The title Earl of Crawford first began in 1398 when it was bestowed to David Lindsay, 1st Earl of Crawford by Robert II, King of Scots. It was not until the 21st Earl of Crawford was the Crawford Lodge built in 1758. In the early 1800’s, the Crawford estate was enlarged by Lady Mary Lindsay Crawford, the sister of the 22nd Earl of Lindsay. Under Lady Mary, construction to redesign the home to include peaks and pinnacles, turrets and buttresses all in a Gothic priory style occurred. Architects David Hamilton and James Gillespie Graham helped develop the Gothic styled estate we see today.
The Crawford estate passed to Lady Mary Crawford’s heirs who were the Earls of Glasgow. In 1871, the 6th Earl of Glasgow enlarged the estate, adding a chapel. The 7th Earl of Glasgow came into debt and sold the estate to retain his family seat in Kelburn. The son-in-law of of the 6th Earl of Glasgow, Thomas Cochrane, got the estate in 1919. Thomas Cochrane became the Baron of Cochrane Cults and had architect Reginald Fairlie do remodeling on the Crawford Priory. Cochrane had Fairlie remove the porte-cochère (carriage porch) from the western front of the home.
After the death of Thomas George Frederick Cochrane, 2nd Baron Cochrane of Cults in 1968, the house was abandoned and has fallen into the decay you see today. Most of the interior is gone and the dilapidation of the house is ongoing.
The Crawford Priory has been home to the Earls of Crawford, Earls of Glasgow and Barons of Cochrane Cults, all descendants or relations of the 1st Earl of Crawford.
There is a book ‘Haunted Scottish Castles and Houses‘ by Greg Stewart that says Lady Crawford still walks the grounds at night and that the estate is possibly haunted.
Where are the abandoned ruins of the Crawford Priory located? You can find it with these coordinates. 56.289394,-3.055696