Abandoned Homes of Swan's Island in Maine

Abandoned Beautiful Homes of Swan’s Island in Maine

Swan’s Island is a town and island in Hancock County, Maine.

Abandoned Homes of Swan's Island in Maine

The small island town of Swan’s Island was charted by Samuel de Champlain in 1606. During that time it was used as hunting grounds by Native Americans. The island is named after James Swan, a Scottish man, who purchased the island in 1786. The first settler to the island occurred in 1791 by David Smith. After this the population began to increase to over 1000 by the 1900s. As of today there are only over 300 people living on the island.

The island is home to several abandoned buildings and houses with some seeming rather recently forgotten and others collapsing to the pressure of time.

Abandoned Homes of Swan's Island in Maine
Swan’s Island GPS coordinates are 44.151174,-68.452232

All images used and licensed under CC By 2.0. All images by Timothy Krause / Flickr.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *