The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard – Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The abandoned ruins of the Chateau Clochard (also known as the Chateau Tramp, Castle Bum, Chateau Pianiste and the Chateau de Pont Remy Somme) is in the patch of woods between the La Somme river and 20 Place du Maisniel de Saveuse in Pont-Remy, Picardy, France.

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The original castle was burned in 1421 by Philip of Burgundy during the 100 Year War. The Castle of Pont Remy was rebuilt sometime during the 15th century and is believed to have been done so by Jacques Crequy. The rumors of the once grand chateau are that many well known guests stayed or dined in the Chateau de Pont Remy including Mary Queen of Scots, Cardinal Richelieu, King Henry II, Eleanor the Queen and Henry IV.

The chateau caught fire on the night of December 16th, 1638 and a large portion of the stately home was destroyed. It was not until the early 1800’s that the Chateau de Pont Remy was rebuilt in a neo-Gothic style. The only remains of the former castle from the 15th century were the round tower and old stair turret. The estate now belonged to Pierre-Francois du Maisniel Liercourt until the death of his granddaughter in 1955. After this the Chateau Clochard began to fall into disrepair and decay as it was abandoned until 1993 when a new owner purchased the property with plans of renovation. These plans never occurred and citizens of Pont-Remy often tried to gain the property to restore it to its true glory. In the early 2000’s the 15th century tower walls began to crumble and fall away and looting and vandalism continued the demise of the former grandiose manor.

A fire began on August 13th of 2012 and gutted the inside of the former mansion. All that remains now is the still glorious facade and walls, it is deemed unsafe but still very classic and grand in exterior appearance. Unfortunately there are no pictures available to this site to show the chateau now.

The nickname Chateau Pianiste came from the many pianos / organs that were in the home. The nicknames Castle Bum and Chateau Clochard came from the decaying state of the property and/or the fact that squatters occasionally resided there.

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

Where are the ruins of the Chateau Clochard located? You can find it with these coordinates. 50.052932,1.904975.

The Abandoned Chateau Clochard - Now Only Ruins After a Fire in 2012

All images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 2.0 Generic. Images by Benjamin Severac / Flickr / c0rben.

Facebook Comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *