The mining complex of Mazarrón is located off of RM-607 outside of the city Mazarrón, in the region of Murcia, Spain.
Mazarrón has a mining complex at the foothills of the Sierra de la Almenara. Mining has been rich in this area through out the ages. Beginning in the Later Paleolithic age (around 6,000 BC) and continuing into the 1,000 BC. At this time the Metal Ages of Copper, Bronze and Iron where in full swing and the rich resources of the Mazarrón steadily drew in a crowd. This drew the Phoenicians to the area around the 9th century BC and were the first to exploit the areas mineral wealth.
Others came and went through Mazarrón but it was not until the Roman age that the wealth of Mazarrón was used again. Not only did the Romans mine in the area but they also used the nearby water and port to produce “garum”, a special salted fish sauce.
Mazarrón began passing through the ages claimed by one group and then another. It continued to be mined through out various civilizations and eventually it fell into more modern times. By 1840, the mining at Mazarrón was at it highest point and the vast wealth of silver, lead and alum were taken heavily from the mines. This caused Mazarrón the town to develop and flourish. In 1900, there were slow declines in the mining industry which continued with growth into the later 1900’s. Mining was eventually put on hold as new ways to create industry in the town arose including tourism, agriculture and construction.
The closure of the last mine in 1963 did cause Mazarrón to fail, the town grew to become a very popular tourist destination to this day.
Where is the abandoned mine and buildings outside of Mazarrón located? You can find it with these coordinates. 37.600806,-1.325151.
All images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial No Derivs 2.0 Generic. All images by Paul / Flickr / Howzey.