The Chateau de Saulxures (also known as Castle Saulxures, Petit Versailles or Versailles Vosges) is on Avenue Foch in the commune of Saulxures-sur-Moselotte, Vosges, the Region of Lorraine, France.
The now abandoned Chateau de Saulxures was commissioned by Elizabeth Gehin during the golden age of textile industry. Construction began in 1854 and was completed in 1861. It was designed by architect Charles Perron and constructed in a Louis XV style. The interior of Castle Saulxures was complete with parquet inlaid fireplaces of Carrara marble, eloquent staircases, sculptures and tapestries made by prominent artist of the time and ceilings painted by Felix Haffner.
The Castle Saulxures was abandoned in 1972 for reasons unknown, possibly because maintaining the castle cost too much. Many people want the protection of the castle with many recovery and restoration projects considered. Since none of the projects for restoration have yet come to pass much of the castle has been damaged, such as the ceilings collapsing and the interior being looted and vandalized over the years. The facade of the structure still remains in relatively good condition due to the large blocks of granite that are the base of the structure.
The facade of Chateau de Saulxures and the roofs and outbuildings have been listed as historical monuments since 1984. Though threats of demolition still arise now and again.
Where is the dilapidated Castle Saulxures located? You can find it with these coordinates. 47.947484,6.767889.
Images used under the Creative Commons License Attribution Share Alike 3.0 Unported, images were under this license January 5th, 2014. Photographs by René Dinkel.