The Willington Power Station Cooling Towers are off of Twyford Road on the outskirts of the village Willington in the county of Derbyshire, England.
The Willington Power Station was established in the 1950’s as a coal fired plant. In 1990 it was bought by National Power after the privatization the UK electricity market. By 1998, the Willington Power Station was closed. After the end of National Power in 2001, when the company became de-merged, many of the power plants owned by National Power were demolished. Though defunct and discontinued the Willington Power Station cooling towers still remain but not much else of the site.
Today the site is marked to possibly become a large residential development. Plans for future construction are constantly met with opposition from locals, due to the proximity of the site to the River Trent’s flood plain.
During the time of its eventual closure in the 1990’s a pair of peregrine falcons nested in one the plants cooling towers and was largely publicized. A bit of the land near the cooling towers that were part of a quarry have become a wetland nature reserve.
Where are the abandoned five brothers cooling towers located? You can find them with these coordinates. 52.857412,-1.540811.
Images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 2.0 Generic. Images by David Hayward [Flickr / rubberdreamfeet].