The Sheffield General Cemetery can be seen at 293 Cemetery Road, Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England.
The Sheffield General Cemetery opened in 1839 as a nonconformist cemetery in response to the growth of the Town of Sheffield and the poor state of the town’s churchyards. It is located on the site of a former quarry. The buildings and gateway are designed in a mix of Egyptian and Greek Doric style by architect Samuel Worth. Mary Ann Fish died of tuberculosis and was the first body to be buried there. It became the principal cemetery in Victorian Sheffield with over 87,000 burials.
In 1846, an Anglican cemetery was consecrated next to the Sheffield Nonconformist Cemetery, the wall that divides them remains today. The Sheffield Cemetery rapidly was filled and soon it was running out of space by 1916. Family burial plots continued into the 1960’s but in 1978 ownership passed to the Sheffield City Council and the cemetery became closed to all new burials. In 1980 by Act of Parliament, 800 gravestones were cleared to make a recreational area. The rest of the cemetery and buildings were left untouched and falling into decay until the year 2003 when work to restore the gatehouse and catacombs began from a grant by the Heritage Lottery Fund.
Some of the buildings and other things in the Sheffield General Cemetery are the Nonconformist Chapel, The Gatehouse, The Catacombs, The Dissenter’s Wall (the wall that divides the Sheffield Cemetery from the Anglican Cemetery), the Anglican Chapel, The Registrar’s House and the Egyptian Gate.
It is a Grade II listed Landscape on the English Heritage National Register of Historic Parks and Gardens and it is a Local Nature Reserve. It is managed by the Sheffield General Cemetery Trust.
The cemetery reminds me of Bowerstone Cemetery in Fable II.
Where is the abandoned Sheffield General Cemetery located? You can find it with these coordinates 53.368822,-1.4881.
Images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial No Derivs 2.0 Generic, images were under this license December 23, 2013. Images by Vanessa Chettleburgh (Flickr/Vanchett).