Carlow Castle (Caisleán Cheatharlach) is on 6 Mill Lane, Carlow, County Carlow, Ireland.
The sign at the abandoned Carlow Castle states “This castle was probably built in the early 13th century by William Marshal, who succeeded Strongbow (the Norman conqueror of the Leinster) as Lord of Leinster. Sited on a small island in the Barrow, it protected the river crossing and the town of Carlow.
In the middle of the 13th century it passed (along with the lands of Carlow) to Roger Bigod, Earl of Norfolk. Among its many subsequent owners one Dr. Middleton stands out; in 1814 he blew up a substantial part of the castle to accommodate the building of a lunatic asylum.
Half of the donjon (a medieval term for the major residential tower of a castle) survives; the other buildings of the castle must have been destroyed. Originally the donjon was a rectangular block containing a castle’s principal rooms, protected by cylindrical towers at its corners. This design is rare among donjons in Ireland, and it may have been copied from western France, an area also under Norman control.
Carlow – from Ceatharlach (origin obscure)” – Dúchas The Heritage Service
The ruins of Carlow Caste are a National Monument of Ireland.
Where is Carlow Castle located? You can find it with these coordintates. 52.836247,-6.935782. Though it is pretty obvious where it is from the road.
Images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial Share Alike 2.0 Generic, images were under this license December 21st, 2013. Images by Dylans. [Flickr/dylans].