The Farwell commercial building is on 1265 Griswold Street in the Grand Circus Historic District of Detroit, Michigan.
Named for the estate of Emmer and Jesse Farwell, the Farwell building was built in 1915 and designed by architect Harrie W. Bonnah. Farwell is a rectangular building with 8 floors and designed in the Chicago School Architectural style. The interior was fashioned with elegance including brass elevator doors, marble walls, and a Tiffany mosaic ceiling. The exterior decorative and structural ironwork were crafted by the Russel Wheel and Foundry Company of Detroit. There is ample use of glass on the front facade and the frieze above the second story is adorned with decorative triglyphs and metopes.
Changes to the Farwell building occurred in 1956 when changes were made to the first floor facade. In 1970, Higgins Management Company procured the Farwell building and renovated it for office space. The building has been abandoned since 1984. The State of Michigan began negotiations to buy the building from the current owners using the federal Neighborhood Stabilization Program, a final sale price of $3 million was announced.
The Farwelll building became a designated Michigan State Historic Site in 1974 and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1976.
Where is the abandoned Farwell building located? You can find it with these coordinates. 42.333539,-83.049955.
All images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial 2.0 Generic, images were under this license January 24th, 2014. All images by Thomas Hawk [Flcikr/thomashawk].