The remains of the Griffith Park Zoo can be found on and around Fire Road in Los Angeles, California.
The Griffith Park Zoo opened as the second zoo in the Los Angeles area. It began in 1912 with 15 animals. Many animals were donated from the personal collection of the motion picture industry pioneer, William Nicholas Selig in 1920. Eventually Griffith Zoo was expanded by the Works Progress Administration in the 1930’s. The zoo grew to house monkeys, bears, elephants, reptiles, goats, turtles, birds and more.
By the 1950’s the Griffith Zoo was considered ugly, under financed and poorly designed even though it drew more than 2 million visitors a year. In 1958, an $8 million budget passed to create a new and better zoo. The Los Angeles Zoo opened just 2 miles away in 1966, 3 months after the closure of the Griffith Zoo. Most of the animals from the Griffith Zoo were transferred over to the new Los Angeles Zoo. The bars and cages were left as ruined reminders of how zoos were and to the memory of the Griffith Zoo.
Where are the abandoned former cages and zoo of Griffith Park located? You can find it with these coordinates. 34.133397,-118.288514.
All images used under Creative Commons License Attribution Non Commercial No Derivs 2.0 Generic. All images by Don Barrett / Flickr / donbrr.