This large abandoned school is in the midst of the neighborhood of Harlem on 525 W 145th Street, the borough of Manhattan, New York.
This 5 story school was built in 1902 and designed in Italian Renaissance style. The towering school has an area of almost 100,000 square feet and offered education for grades from K to 12. Over the years nature and decay have over come this school with a view of the Hudson River. All of the windows are missing, with some even covered and filled with cinder blocks. The roof has collapsed in many parts allowing weather of all sorts to raid the building.
Public School 186 closed in 1975 and was purchased by the Boys and Girls Club from New York State for $215,000 USD. Many plans to renovate the school were approached but never followed through. As of late 2013, plans went underway to begin the conversion of the school into apartments. The building was purchased for over $4 million USD by Dattner Architects and projected renovations are to begin during 2014.
As with many abandoned places there always seems to be some lost life that found its final resting place among the abandoned walls.
Where is the abandoned Harlem Public School 186 located? You can find it with these coordinates. 40.826244,-73.948736.
All images used under Creative Commons Attribution Non Commercial No Derivs 2.0 Generic. All images by Nate Dorr / Flickr / mercurialn.