Le sanatorium d’Aincourt is on 7 Rue des Acacias, in the commune of Aincourt, Val-d’Oise department of the Ile-de-France region of France.
Aincourt Sanatorium was built by architects Edward Crevel and John Paul Decaux in the early 1930’s. The sanatorium, also dubbed ‘Home for the Cure’, was opened in 1933. By 1936, there were 430 Tuberculosis patients residing in Aincourt.
The Sanatorium was in the midst of fighting area during World War II and patients were evacuated and the hospital was turned into an internment camp. The sanatorium began to hold ‘suspicious’ prisoners in late 1940 and was set to hold 150 prisoners. By 1941, the camp held over 650 prisoners. Hundreds were eventually deported from the camp and sent to the concentration camps Auschwitz, Sachsenhausen and Buchenwald but Sanatorium Aincourt was also considered a concentration camp. In 1942, the camp was turned into a militia training center of the Mobile Groups Reserve. The camp was disbanded the same year.
Le sanatorium d’Aincourt was reopened as a hospital in 1946. 1 pavilion closed in 1987 another in 1988 and the final one in 2001. There were 3 pavilions in all 1 for men, 1 for women and 1 for children.
Today, 2 of the 3 pavilions have been left abandoned and unused as well as the laundry building, morgue and some housing. The third pavilion is now being used by the inter-hospital group Vexin.
Thanks to bouledegomme for all tips on all abandoned places in France.
Where is the abandoned Le sanatorium d’Aincourt located? You can find it with these coordinates. 49.077984,1.758096